Choosing accounting software for your small business can be a harrowing process, almost as challenging as finding a small business bookkeeper, accountant or financial controller. In fact, the two activities often go hand-in-hand, since many bookkeeping firms prefer certain accounting software and may point you down that path. The fact is, there are several good small business bookkeeping programs available, and it doesn’t matter which one you choose. That’s right. The important thing is to select one that you find user-friendly and intuitive, that has the capabilities you need and is scalable for your business today and in the future, and that your bookkeeper is trained in the bookkeeping software you prefer to use.
Choosing Small Business Bookkeeping Software
Let’s look at some of the traits good bookkeeping software for small businesses should have.
1. Access to your financial data 24/7 – This is one reason that more and more businesses are relying on cloud-based accounting software.
2. Does not tax your company’s IT infrastructure with expensive hardware upgrades or time-intensive installations. – Again, accounting software in the cloud can be easily loaded on to any computer with Internet access. In most cases, all that’s required is the latest version of your Web browser (to maintain the most secure connection) and a secure Internet connection.
3. Customization – Every business is different, so accounting software is not “one-size-fits-all.” Relying on Excel or other spreadsheet programs to fill in gaps in accounting needs leads to complications, compliance issues and added costs. Software that your small business bookkeeper or virtual accountant can customize easily will streamline accounting processes and reduce long-term costs.
4. Scalability as your business grows – Many small businesses start with QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Pro accounting software, but functionality may be limited as the business grows. Intacct accounting software grows with your company, offering time and expense management, order management, sales force integration, CRM functions, sales and use tax, project accounting and more.
5. Puts the information business owners need right at their fingertips, so business owners can put their customers first. – If you don’t feel as if your current accounting software is doing this, it might be time to learn more about cloud based accounting and Intacct. TCG can help.